Procrastination Isn't Real

Although saying that (the title of my post) I'm procrastinating novel writing right now as I write this blog post.

This is a note I have to put up though, to myself, so that I remember what causes procrastination.

It happens when I don't write. I mean, yes I have things to do during the day. Spending most of my time with my kids, especially at the weekend. But I'm always thinking about writing, about my current manuscript. And therein lies the first problem of putting things off, for me anyway.

See, the way I write is that I write when I write. What I mean by that is when I think about my current Work In Progress while I'm doing the dishes, for example, I screw up my writerly brain. I need to remember not to think about my WIP at all. When I brainstorm what I think might happen next in my book, I get bored with actually writing pre-thought plot ideas. But when I sit down and see my manuscript open in Scrivener, whatever else I was planning on doing (procrastinating) gets forgotten and I start adding to my WIP then and there!

The story unfolds seemingly of it's own accord and nothing I outlined about in my mind gets put to paper, or in this case; to computer. My characters come back to life and whatever twists and turns occur, happen as and when I'm actually writing.

So procrastination isn't real because I wouldn't procrastinate if I just saw my open Scrivener file. It triggers the imagination station in my brain and I just start typing away! Excited as ever to find out what happens next in the story. No longer aware that when I'm not writing I'm plotting in my head. Maybe the plotting helps, subconsciously. It's back there, in my mind while I write, but it mixes in with the actual writing and the characters take over. Fuelling the story through their thoughts, senses, dialogue, feelings, and actions.

Note to self: just write.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thinkerbeat Guest Post

Guest Post from Author Samantha Tonge on Her New Novella

Finally! A Cover for Bedevilled That I Like