Skip to main content

It's Been 10 Years Since I Wrote My First Novel

I've always loved writing. All my life, since the tender young age of six when I started keeping a diary. What I learned from that over the years is; keeping a diary means someone will eventually read it and/or read it out to the entire class in 6th grade when you forgot your private diary in your desk and you stayed away from school for a week with the chicken pox. Only to return, majorly embarrassed. Or that time when I left my diary at junior high school and Mandy Busybody (something or other) decided to tell everyone that I put a little heart next to a boy's name, and therefore I must have a MASSIVE crush on him. I did have a crush on him, but I didn't want him to know that.

Anyhoo, I digress from the topic of this blog post. I wrote many other things over the years. My fiction was fan scripts for TV shows I like, and short stories of my own. 


Then in 2009 I decided to write a whole novel. I didn't know if I could do it. I struggled with putting together sentences that made sense, so I read more and looked at how other authors laid out their prose. I struggled with writing dialogue so much that I had to do a course on it. And every writing course I've ever done has helped me immensely. The writer's group I'm part of helps my writing. Every bit of writing I do is practice and improvement of my art. Although I did get fed up the other day when I sat down and started penning a new short story. I felt like I was a bit sick of my own writing style, and that's when I knew I hadn't implemented a new form.


Since writing my first novel I like to implement a new strategy into my writing, every time I start a new piece. But more on that later, I'd like to elaborate on what it takes to write a whole book. And it took more than I'd anticipated. I mean, I didn't think I could actually do it. Back in 2009 I had to work up the motivation and just go for it. Eventually I got the first draft written in a couple of months, but then I re-wrote it over many years. Too many years. I messed up my first novel by re-writing it at all, but I learned never to do that again.


Actually the first novel idea I had was to write a book and title it: Supermum. So my main character would have been a single mum who gains super-powers and not only has to save the day for her children all the time, but ends up saving the whole wide world against an evil enemy!


But the idea I ended up going with was understandably right up my ally. I wrote Bedevilled. A supernatural romantic comedy novel about the devil who is a woman. At the time of writing was my 2nd year in life being atheist, after coming out from behind the curtain of Mormonism. I mean, I was a jack-mormon since my teen years, but until I studied psychology at university in 2006, I used to believe there was a Jeebus the Christ, and all that crap. So when I realised there was no afterlife, or God who art in heaven (neither of which exist) I had at it and wrote a novel about a devil-woman with glee and utter abandon.


Comedy has been my favourite genre, in the main. And then romance. I do like stories with romance in, or sexual attraction, which is always in most movies, shows, books, etc. Romance/lust. Same stuff.


I might still write Supermum someday. I'd like to, but first I've got to finish writing my 20th novel. Or something like that. So yeah I wrote my first book in 2009 and I've written books ever since.



Bedevilled

Bubbles is a woman in trouble. Life on Earth just became Hell. Quite literally seeing as how there's escaped minions from the underworld to deal with. And to think it all started with a blind date. Or did it? There's more to that Godly looking man than meets the eye, and Bubbles is intent on finding out just how divine He truly is. 
Bedevilled on Amazon in paperback

If you've any trouble getting hold of a copy of Bedevilled contact me anytime. Also, if you'd like a personalised signed copy you can email me at suzkorb15@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post from Author Samantha Tonge on Her New Novella

How to Get Hitched in Ten Days is my first novella and the story just flew onto the page. It is a tale of friendship, unrequited love and about turning around the challenges that occasionally strike us all as we go through life. Mikey helps the boyfriend of his best friend and flat mate, Jasmine, turn around a disastrous Valentine’s Day proposal. Early reviews are coming in and I am thrilled that many readers are reacting to Mikey in the way I intended – they all love him and wish he was part of their lives.   As one reviewer,   Coffeeholic Bookworm says: “  I want some Mikey in my life! Mikey isn’t your typical hero. He’s soft, fluffy, sensitive and yummy. His friendship with Jasmine was admirable. He’s a keeper ” Do you have a best friend? Someone you can turn to in your hour of need?   I think I created this character because, apart from my lovely husband, I don’t. And sometimes life gets difficult. You don’t necessarily want to burden your family or partner with

Need A Little Time by Adam Eccles, A Review

Sometimes, the strangest things can happen, right on your doorstep. When you find out your best friend and business partner is secretly sleeping with your wife, it may be time to move on.... From your job and your marriage.... Which is precisely what happened to Jamie Newgent. A change of lifestyle is what’s needed, and a bachelor pad on the fourth floor of a jutting tower provides a new home, a fresh start, and a new chapter in his life. Little does he know of the weird and wonderful journey he’s about to take, or the effects a temporal rift has on the building plumbing and his troublesome toaster. He’s living in the middle of an anomaly sandwich, with a retro woman upstairs, and a feisty hippy downstairs. But will either of them become anything more than friends? And, If it came down to it, would he be able to make the ultimate sacrifice to save a life: Could he go back to an era before the internet and smartphones? This story was a great little adventure that didn't cause me tre

Thinkerbeat Guest Post

Welcome to the Thinkerbeat Anthology Interview Q: What inspired you to start publishing? A: I wrote my first story when I was really young. I used to sit with a typewriter and clunk away at the keys for hours. I’d make a lot of mistakes, but I kept trying. Later, I started sending stories out for publication. I got a lot of rejections, just like everyone does. In college I studied the music business and learned about managing talent. I also played around with the idea of becoming a computer programmer, but my creative side won out and I spent a number of years working in the music business. Down the road, I got an offer to write a children’s book for a publisher. I thought, well, 500 words, how hard can that be? It took me months to finish it. You spend more time describing the illustrations on the page than you do putting words on the page. The staff editor was never happy and we disagreed on a lot of things. But I learned from him. I also kept in mind that if I didn’