Skip to main content

Author Guest Post: Jill Hand's; The Blue Horse

The Blue Horse
Available Now
I'd like to welcome author Jill Hand to my blog today. She discusses her book The Blue Horse below. Enjoy...

-

Sometimes the perfect plot for a novel appears from out of nowhere, like a golden gift from the gods of fiction.  That’s what happened with The Blue Horse, now available from Kellan Publications.
            I happened to stumble on the amazing true story of the blue horse while poking around online.  I was reading about the giant black cats that pop up every now and then in places where there shouldn’t be any panther-like beasts prowling around.  They turn up in the UK as well as in the States, startling the people who see them before vanishing as suddenly as they appear.    
            These ebony-furred felines are among the ranks of cryptids, improbable creatures – sometimes seemingly impossible creatures, like the Jersey Devil or Spring-heeled Jack -- that have been seen but never captured.
            The Blue Horse centers on an improbable creature whose existence was firmly documented.  It was discovered in South Africa in 1860, peacefully grazing with a herd of quagga, a subspecies of zebra.  The fact that it was blue in color and completely without hair was utterly bizarre.  To this day, nobody is certain what it was or where it came from.
It was shipped to England, where it ended up in the hands of a fabulously wealthy man named George Harry Booth-Gray, 7th Earl of Stamford.  Sir George was master of the Quorn Hunt and rode his new acquisition to go fox hunting.
Research is one of the most enjoyable things about writing, in my opinion.  In this case, the more I read about Sir George the more I was intrigued by him.  He was the type of delightfully dotty upper-class Englishman who flourished during the Victorian and Edwardian eras.  By all accounts, he preferred playing cricket and betting on the horses to attending his classes at Cambridge University’s Trinity College.  Scholarship disagreed with him to the point that he left after only one year, having shocked everybody by marrying the daughter of his bedder.  (Bedders were servants who took care of the students’ rooms.)
            Sir George again flouted convention when he married a circus bareback rider after his first wife died.  The lady, the former Kitty Cocks, wasn’t the sort of person whom an Earl was supposed to marry.  It was bad enough that she’d been in the circus, but the fact that she had been the mistress of a notorious playboy caused a tremendous scandal.
            Sir George, his blue horse and the scandalous Lady Kitty were such fascinating characters that I decided I had to put them into a book, in this case a factasy – part fact, part fantasy.  In it, the horse of a different color becomes the object of a quest by a trio of unlikely time travelers from the future who’ve been assigned to go to 1863, acquire the horse, and bring it back with them to the future. 
            The time travelers work for a twenty-fourth-century enterprise that’s in the business of time travel tourism.  Its employees have been rescued from various disasters and sticky situations in the past.  Rosina, the narrator, was involved in a railway accident in 1889.  Her fiancé, Ned York, was imprisoned in the Tower of London by his uncle, Richard III.  Their companion, Olga, comes from imperial Russia, having been rescued from circumstances that she prefers not to talk about.  
Like any coworkers, Rosina, Ned and Olga and their colleagues have office romances.  They complain about the job and have petty grievances.  Olga is irascible and has gotten repeated warnings about her bad attitude, all of which she ignores.  Ned is a charming layabout who likes to talk about his encounters with various notable characters throughout history.  Level-headed, practical Rosina tries to keep them both in line, but she doesn’t always succeed.
Research again came in handy in describing two of the places the time travelers visit while throwing a bachelor party for one of their colleagues that takes them to 1893 Paris: the infamous Café of Hell and the lesser-known but equally weird Cabaret of Nothingness.  Both places are long gone by now, but there are pictures of them online.  They’re well worth a look.
The Blue Horse was tremendous fun to write.  It has all the elements I like to see in a good story: adventure, romance, lots of laughs and a few tears.  It’s available for $3.99 in PDF, EPUB and MOBI format for e-book readers or $19 for paperback from the Kellan Publishing Bookstore website: www.bookstore.kellanpublishing.com. 

You can find me on Facebook as Jill Hand, where I’ll be holding a contest to give away a signed, paperback copy along with other swag.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post from Author Samantha Tonge on Her New Novella

How to Get Hitched in Ten Days is my first novella and the story just flew onto the page. It is a tale of friendship, unrequited love and about turning around the challenges that occasionally strike us all as we go through life. Mikey helps the boyfriend of his best friend and flat mate, Jasmine, turn around a disastrous Valentine’s Day proposal. Early reviews are coming in and I am thrilled that many readers are reacting to Mikey in the way I intended – they all love him and wish he was part of their lives.   As one reviewer,   Coffeeholic Bookworm says: “  I want some Mikey in my life! Mikey isn’t your typical hero. He’s soft, fluffy, sensitive and yummy. His friendship with Jasmine was admirable. He’s a keeper ” Do you have a best friend? Someone you can turn to in your hour of need?   I think I created this character because, apart from my lovely husband, I don’t. And sometimes life gets difficult. You don’t necessarily want to burden your family or partner with

Need A Little Time by Adam Eccles, A Review

Sometimes, the strangest things can happen, right on your doorstep. When you find out your best friend and business partner is secretly sleeping with your wife, it may be time to move on.... From your job and your marriage.... Which is precisely what happened to Jamie Newgent. A change of lifestyle is what’s needed, and a bachelor pad on the fourth floor of a jutting tower provides a new home, a fresh start, and a new chapter in his life. Little does he know of the weird and wonderful journey he’s about to take, or the effects a temporal rift has on the building plumbing and his troublesome toaster. He’s living in the middle of an anomaly sandwich, with a retro woman upstairs, and a feisty hippy downstairs. But will either of them become anything more than friends? And, If it came down to it, would he be able to make the ultimate sacrifice to save a life: Could he go back to an era before the internet and smartphones? This story was a great little adventure that didn't cause me tre

Thinkerbeat Guest Post

Welcome to the Thinkerbeat Anthology Interview Q: What inspired you to start publishing? A: I wrote my first story when I was really young. I used to sit with a typewriter and clunk away at the keys for hours. I’d make a lot of mistakes, but I kept trying. Later, I started sending stories out for publication. I got a lot of rejections, just like everyone does. In college I studied the music business and learned about managing talent. I also played around with the idea of becoming a computer programmer, but my creative side won out and I spent a number of years working in the music business. Down the road, I got an offer to write a children’s book for a publisher. I thought, well, 500 words, how hard can that be? It took me months to finish it. You spend more time describing the illustrations on the page than you do putting words on the page. The staff editor was never happy and we disagreed on a lot of things. But I learned from him. I also kept in mind that if I didn’