Skip to main content

Pain & Sorrow

I thought about how to possibly start writing this blog post and it made me think of the other time in my past when I overcame painful suffering in my life. 

This blog post is about how I naturally overcame anxiety, physical pain, and depression without drugs. As in, anti-depressants etc. On the contrary, the removal of drugs from my life sorted me out. 



As for the other time in my past when I suffered greatly, that was purely mental. However, our brains are inside our bodies as a whole. And those of us who have suffered mentally know full well it is a physical pain too. I'll address this later. 

How I Overcame Anxiety & Depression 

Up till my mid-thirties I thought anxiety attacks were made-up by wimps who wanted attention. And when I deigned to acknowledge someone's anxiety as being real, I was of the mind to tell them to just get over it. 

Oh how my world of arrogance came crashing down around me to the depths of my quivering soul, when my first ever anxiety attack walloped me in the heart, body, and mind, to leave me a shuddering mass of goo-like jelly on the floor of despair wondering... 

What. The. Actual. Fuck. Was. That. 

I don't even remember where I was when I started having panic attacks. It was just random. I'd be sitting or standing and the next minute I couldn't breathe. The heart palpitations at a rate of knots. The sweating. Dizziness. Confusion. Feeling like you're having a heart attack and stroke at the same time and you are scared you'll die. 

If Only I Knew Why Then, Now That I Know Now 

Sorry, the above statement is wackadoodle, but true. And telling. 

Basically, it was caffeine, booze, and pain killers. No point in delaying saying it like it is. In retrospect I've learned how my body works by now. I'm 44 years old. I've lived a life of hell. Luckily not most days. And every time I've nixed those chemicals from my life, my suffering has ended both physically and mentally. I still suffer from monthly migraines if I'm not extremely careful, due to hormones related to a woman's menstrual cycle. But my anxiety was full on when I drank coffee. My depression was rampant and strong when I drank alcohol. The pain caused by alcohol was excruciating to my brain. The detriment of too much ibuprofen caused my stomach to bleed and become chronically sensitive for life. 

The Final Straw

Earlier this year I suffered a mental and physical break so unique and painful, I decided enough was enough. 

I'd been commuting my kids to and from school accumulating over 80 miles driving daily. We'd moved house the previous year and I thought I could deal with such a commute, rather than change their schools closer to our new home. I thought wrong. 

On a spring morning in May, earlier this year, I got us all hurried into the car, rushing as usual at 7:30am, after the wake-up time of 5:30 in the morning. I dreaded the headache that was sure to arise as it always did on that horrific drive, but that day it would become worse than I could ever imagine. 

About half way there, I felt a burning sensation behind my shoulder blades. By the time I reached our destination and dropped off the kids, the burn had travelled the length of my shoulders, neck, and spine, up through the top of my head and down into my eyes. The top of my head felt like someone was aiming a blowtorch at my skull, sizzling my brain inside. 

I pulled the car to the side of the road. Turned it off. Got out, and stumbled into the small nearby local hospital for minor injuries only. I didn't care that the waiting room was packed with patients. I was sobbing in pain and I don't know how I managed to walk to the reception desk without falling over. 

"Can someone help me." I cried through shaky tears. 

Luckily the staff quickly got me a wheelchair, which I sank into gratefully. That at least meant I no longer had to try and use my quivering weakened legs. But the pain in my shoulders, neck, and head made me wish for the blissful painless non-existence of death.

Unfortunately though, you can't die from pain. 

So they wheeled me into a room where I cried and cried in agony. They had to send for an ambulance to take me to a bigger hospital. The pain never lessened that day, or for days and days to come, but I taught myself how to sort of endure it.

There were bloody and infected people all around once I got to the bigger hospital. So I discharged myself. Arrangements were made to pick up my car where I'd left it. The pain continued full force for a month. I kid you not. I lived with that excruciating pain that made me ill and exhausted for weeks and weeks. 

At some points during May I was able to walk out into the garden and sit on a chaise-longue for some fresh air, but only a little while before I had to go back to bed. The entire time I existed in this constant state of seemingly never ending agony, I had a determined little person inside my brain keeping me together. Stopping me from getting a taxi to that high suspension bridge in Bristol, and throwing myself off it. 

Slowly, day by day, through to mid-June. The pain lessened and went away. And in all that time. Hour after hour, minute by minute, second by nearly unbearable second, I always remembered to keep caffeine, alcohol, and drugs out of my body. Now my head and body are clear. That's what it feels like. I feel transparent in my clarity. No more anxiety. No more pain. No more depression. I feel happy in my days and with my routines. I wake, refreshed in the morning. I take care of my kids and home. I work. I exercise. I relax. I do a thing some days too. lol 

And as for the other time in my past when I suffered so greatly, mentally, for over a year, that was when I realised there is no god, but that's a blog post for another time.

Upon further retrospect I just remembered the cataclysm of my brain meltdown in May was triggered by a previous eyelid twitch. But this was unlike any eyelid twitch I'd ever experienced in my life that lasted less than a day. Because I'd been over exerting my eyeballs even earlier this year, I developed major blepharospasm, which mean my eyelids were twitching wildly all around my upper and lower lids down to my cheekbones, over to  my temples, and up to my eyebrows. It was super awkward throughout May, and when I could finally go out in public again. I had to warn people I spoke with that I wasn't constantly blinking and winking at them, and I definitely wasn't falling asleep standing up or sitting down, when my eyes just wouldn't stay open.

Yeah, I really suffered earlier this year. 

Now I occasionally have remnant eye twitching when I look down sometimes. I have to be careful not to stare at screens too much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post from Author Samantha Tonge on Her New Novella

How to Get Hitched in Ten Days is my first novella and the story just flew onto the page. It is a tale of friendship, unrequited love and about turning around the challenges that occasionally strike us all as we go through life. Mikey helps the boyfriend of his best friend and flat mate, Jasmine, turn around a disastrous Valentine’s Day proposal. Early reviews are coming in and I am thrilled that many readers are reacting to Mikey in the way I intended – they all love him and wish he was part of their lives.   As one reviewer,   Coffeeholic Bookworm says: “  I want some Mikey in my life! Mikey isn’t your typical hero. He’s soft, fluffy, sensitive and yummy. His friendship with Jasmine was admirable. He’s a keeper ” Do you have a best friend? Someone you can turn to in your hour of need?   I think I created this character because, apart from my lovely husband, I don’t. And sometimes life gets difficult. You don’t necessarily want to burden your family or partner with

Need A Little Time by Adam Eccles, A Review

Sometimes, the strangest things can happen, right on your doorstep. When you find out your best friend and business partner is secretly sleeping with your wife, it may be time to move on.... From your job and your marriage.... Which is precisely what happened to Jamie Newgent. A change of lifestyle is what’s needed, and a bachelor pad on the fourth floor of a jutting tower provides a new home, a fresh start, and a new chapter in his life. Little does he know of the weird and wonderful journey he’s about to take, or the effects a temporal rift has on the building plumbing and his troublesome toaster. He’s living in the middle of an anomaly sandwich, with a retro woman upstairs, and a feisty hippy downstairs. But will either of them become anything more than friends? And, If it came down to it, would he be able to make the ultimate sacrifice to save a life: Could he go back to an era before the internet and smartphones? This story was a great little adventure that didn't cause me tre

Thinkerbeat Guest Post

Welcome to the Thinkerbeat Anthology Interview Q: What inspired you to start publishing? A: I wrote my first story when I was really young. I used to sit with a typewriter and clunk away at the keys for hours. I’d make a lot of mistakes, but I kept trying. Later, I started sending stories out for publication. I got a lot of rejections, just like everyone does. In college I studied the music business and learned about managing talent. I also played around with the idea of becoming a computer programmer, but my creative side won out and I spent a number of years working in the music business. Down the road, I got an offer to write a children’s book for a publisher. I thought, well, 500 words, how hard can that be? It took me months to finish it. You spend more time describing the illustrations on the page than you do putting words on the page. The staff editor was never happy and we disagreed on a lot of things. But I learned from him. I also kept in mind that if I didn’